During this difficult time, many of us are searching for ways we can help the families and students affected by the tragic shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School. We would like to share with you what TBO is doing as well as some resources and ways you can help!
The TBO Social Action Committee will be forming a “subcommittee” to ensure that our community is supporting those in need for the long term and that TBO is addressing ways that our community can be involved. Watch for an email with the next meeting day and time.
Rabbi Bloch is available upon request to assist all congregants through this difficult time. Please feel free to reach out to her.
TEMPLE BETH ORR’S RESPONSE TO THE MSD TRAGEDY
On March 10th – Please join the Rabbi and your fellow congregants at the “I Stand with MSD – Walk for Solidarity” This walk will start at North Community Park and end at the school. At the event, community groups, teachers and students will walk hand-in-hand one-half mile to MSD. After the event, Rabbi will lead us in song and prayer. Watch your email for more information.
On March 24th – TBO will be participating in the local MARCH FOR OUR LIVES – More information will be forth coming.
Attend the Chava Mirel Concert – at TBO on Saturday, March 4th – All of the proceeds from the concert are earmarked towards the efforts of our youth to address the Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooting
Laminated Banners – The school has requested that banners with well wishes be displayed on campus for the staff, students and community. The TBO ECC has sent a banner
A second banner from TBO will be created during Mitzvah Day on March 4th
Donate Blood – We will have a bloodmobile at Mitzvah Day at TBO on March 4th.
School Supplies – The teachers misplaced by the tragedy need supplies for their temporary classrooms. Bring supplies to Mitzvah Day on March 4th or drop them off in the TBO office. This link will take you to the wish list on Amazon
Support Services – In the days following the tragedy, many of our congregants have generously donated their counseling’s services to those in need. If you would like to offer support services for the MSD community, it can be submitted at browardschools.com/wesupport.
Letter Writing Campaign – On Mitzvah Day and on an ongoing basis, in our Hall of Honors will have templates that can be completed along with the proper mailing supplies. This will assist those congregants that wish to send letters to those that represent us. Well thought out letters are one of the most effective ways Americans have of influencing the lawmakers they elect.
The tools and supplies have been generously unwritten by a congregant.
Counseling – In addition to Rabbi, TBO has had counselors available (to those in need) since the day of this tragedy. Rabbi has led sessions for our youth and their parents and we will continue to have counselors available.
Meal Chain – Our ECC is participating in a meal chain for the Wikander family (whose child recently got home from the hospital).
Blanket for Ben – Members of our sisterhood are knitting squares that will be put together into a blanket for Ben Wikander. Congregants can join the knitting at Mitzvah day. If multiple blankets are made, they will be donated to others that have been affected by the tragedy.
Link on our Website – A link will be added to the TBO website with information regarding our current and ongoing response to this tragedy. The link should be “live” by next week.
Donate – Ben Wikander: https://www.gofundme.com/ben039s-healing-fund (TBO MEMBER)
March 13 – Edith Soffler, mother of our own Lori Feldman, will be reciting her poem in honor of the victims and families of the MSD shooting at The Poems for Parkland event which will be held on March 13 from 5:30-7:30 at the library on the campus of Broward College in Coconut Creek.
March 2 – Love for Parkland Fundraiser – For more information https://www.facebook.com/events/421737471580498/
March 13th – Poems for Parkland: Poetry of Peace – For more information
On March 24th there will be multiple MARCH for OUR LIVES EVENTS in the tri county area. More information will be forth coming on how TBO Members, their family and friends can MARCH together. The link below will take you to the Organization’s Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pg/marchforourlives/about/?ref=page_internal
https://www.marchforourlives.com This is the Link for the National Event
If you would like to make a monetary donation or purchase merchandise…
Send MDS students to Washington – A GoFundMe account has been set up for Marjory Stoneman Douglas students to fly to the nation’s capital to speak with the Senate about having a hearing on gun control. https://www.gofundme.com/send-50-parkland-students-to-dc
In response to the outpouring of requests from across our community and across the nation for ways to help the victims and their families, the Broward Education Foundation (BEF), the 501(c)3 which supports Broward County Public Schools, established a GoFundMe account at gofundme.com/stonemandouglasvictimsfund
The BEF has launched a mobile giving text-to-donate campaign. A text sent to “20222” with the message “PARKLAND” in all caps will forward a $10 donation to support the families and victims of this tragedy.
Buy a T-shirt – The Parkland PTA/PTO has organized a fundraiser selling T-shirts. Proceeds will go to the victim families, first responders and MSD memorial fund. https://lovemsd.com/MSD_Strong/shop/home.
To buy a Bracelet/bumper sticker – https://3heartstrings1.godaddysites.com/?olsPage=products
GO FUND ME LINKS
- Kyle Laman- https://www.gofundme.com/raising-money-for-laman-family
- Maddy Wilford- https://www.gofundme.com/support-for-missy-and-maddy
- Anthony Borges- https://www.gofundme.com/anthonyborges
- Justin Colton- https://www.gofundme.com/gsm7er-help-to-send-justin-to-italy
- Scott Beigel (Teacher)- http://scottjbeigelmemorialfund.com/
- Alyssa Aldaheff: https://www.gofundme.com/alyssas-memorial-fund
- Martin duque- https://www.gofundme.com/32z7etk
- Nicholas Dworet, 17- https://www.gofundme.com/nicholas-dworett
- Luke Hoyer, 15- Please donate in Luke Hoyer’s name to Voices for Children of Broward County at www.voicesbroward.org (*link misspelled in obituary)
- Aaron Feis coach- https://www.gofundme.com/in-honor-of-our-fallen-hero
- Jaime Guttenberg, 14- https://www.gofundme.com/55msm4g
- Christopher Hixon, 49: https://www.gofundme.com/for-the-hixons
- Cara Loughran, 14- https://www.gofundme.com/caraloughran
- Gina Montalto, 14- https://www.gofundme.com/ginamontalto
- Joaquin Oliver, 17- https://www.gofundme.com/joaquinoliver
- Alaina Petty, 14: https://www.gofundme.com/nf3ck-alaina-petty
- Meadow Pollack, 18- https://www.gofundme.com/meadowpollack
- Alexander Schachter, 14- https://www.gofundme.com/55jm4g8
- Carmen Schentrup, 16- https://www.gofundme.com/carmenmschentrup
- Peter Wang, – family is requesting donations just be made to the school’s general fundraising site.*new from family*https://fundrazr.com/PeterWang…
- Broward County Public Schools in partnership with local and community agencies, has extended its hours to address immediate needs and provide support for those impacted by this tragedy through the Family Assistance Center (FAC). The FAC, is located at the Parkland Recreational and Enrichment Center, 10559 Trails End, Parkland, FL, 33076. The FAC will be open– Friday, March 2: noon – 7 p.m.
- For those needing to speak with a counselor over the phone, the BCPS hotline with family counselors is available from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. each day at 754-321-HELP or 754-321-4357. You can also email 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org, or text FL to 741741 to connect with a counselor.
- The District has also created an online Crisis Support Resource:
- www.browardschools.com/crisissupport, which includes information on receiving assistance – as well as tips for parents and families for helping their children cope with this tragedy. 211 Broward, the comprehensive helpline for crisis and health, and human services is also available 24/7 by dialing 2-1-1.
Ongoing Campaigns and Fundraisers
Kyle Laman- recovering – https://www.gofundme.com/raising-money-for-laman-family
Maddy wilford- recovering – https://www.gofundme.com/support-for-missy-and-maddy
Ben wikander: recovering – https://www.gofundme.com/ben039s-healing-fund
Anthony Borges- recovering – https://www.gofundme.com/anthonyborges
Justin Colton- recovering – https://www.gofundme.com/gsm7er-help-to-send-justin-to-italy
General Stoneman Douglas Victim Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/stonemandouglasvictimsfund
Shirt purchase- http://lovemsd.com/MSD_Strong/shop/product-detail/1000301?
Bracelet/bumper sticker – https://3heartstrings1.godaddysites.com/?olsPage=products
Scott Beigel (Teacher)- http://scottjbeigelmemorialfund.com/
Alyssa Aldaheff: https://www.gofundme.com/alyssas-memorial-fund
Martin duque- https://www.gofundme.com/32z7etk
Nicholas Dworet, age 17- https://www.gofundme.com/nicholas-dworett
Luke Hoyer, age 15- Please donate in Luke Hoyer’s name to Voices for Children of Broward County at www.voicesbroward.org (*link misspelled in obituary)
Aaron Feis coach- https://www.gofundme.com/in-honor-of-our-fallen-hero
Jaime Guttenberg, age 14- https://www.gofundme.com/55msm4g
Christopher Hixon, age 49: https://www.gofundme.com/for-the-hixons
Cara Loughran, age 14- https://www.gofundme.com/caraloughran
Gina Montalto, age 14- https://www.gofundme.com/ginamontalto
Joaquin Oliver, age 17- https://www.gofundme.com/joaquinoliver
Alaina Petty, age 14: https://www.gofundme.com/nf3ck-alaina-petty
Meadow Pollack, age 18- https://www.gofundme.com/meadowpollack
Alexander Schachter, age 14- https://www.gofundme.com/55jm4g8
Carmen Schentrup, age 16- https://www.gofundme.com/carmenmschentrup
Peter Wang, – family is requesting donations just be made to the school’s general fundraising site.
(No longer accepting) https://www.gofundme.com/peter-wang-memorial-fund
Jewish Community assistance link: http://www.uniteparkland.com
Kids March in Washington: https://www.marchforourlives.com/